13 November 2005

Two Quotes

Two quotes from two scientists about two situations which are analogous:

"I often listened to my roommates--they were both seniors--studying for their theoretical physics course. One day they were working pretty hard on something that seemed prety clear to me, so I said, 'Why don't you use the Baronallai's equation?'

'What's what!' they exclaimed. 'What are you talking about!'

I explained to them what I meant and how it worked in this case, and it solved the problem. It turned out it was Bernoulli's equation that I meant, but I had read all this stuff in the encyclopedia without talking to anybody about it, so I didn't know how to pronounce anything."

-- Richard Feynman, Surely You're Joking, Mr Feynman! pg. 34


"When I first started in biology all my knowledge came from reading, and for years I pronounced their name incorrectly as 'sea ani-moans.' This s till seems to me a more reasonable pronunciation."

-- JT Bonner, Life Cycles, pg. 37

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha :) sea ani-moans! it has a nice ring to it. i shall call it that from now on.

-mz